Mark-1

Mark-1
Time to Laugh !!!

Laney Lou!

Laney Lou!
Laney Lou!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

We did it !!!

Sometimes the stars align and a perfect day emerges with blue skies and sunshine and where a feeling of accomplishment and gratitude prevails. Last Saturday was such a day as Becky and I and a lot of family and friends all finished the St. George Half Marathon. No one broke any speed records but this race wasn't about that, it was about accomplishment, perseverance and endurance mixed in with maybe a little stubbornness and determination to never quit. For experienced runners, it was just a little morning jog but for me, it was much more. It was only a few short years ago I was laying in a hospital bed with major heart problems. So I feel fortunate to have another chance and to work toward something significant... for now, that's just walking 13.1 miles and surviving. Maybe later, I can improve on that but I'm happy with finishing!

Thanks to everyone who came to participate or just be a cheerleader! I was so inspired by you all and your drive to finish, its hard to put it all into words...but here goes:

Becky and the "all for one" crowd did great! They ran the first 6 miles or so without stopping. This was amazing since all of their training was mostly just walking. Becky, Jenny, Kathe, Katie, and Susanne comprised this group who vowed to stick together! They were way ahead of my friend Jim and I until Jenny pulled a muscle and they all stopped to help her. They finally went on together and walked the rest of the way in. I was proud of them all and especially my wife Becky who is still very sore from running! Jim and I finally caught them and finished a few minutes ahead but only because they stuck together when one of them was hurt. But as I said, the time didn't really matter.

My Son Jon came with Katie and Lucy! I was glad to see them there and Katie decided at the last minute to run the race and stayed with Becky and the girls throughout the whole race! Way to go Katie! Jon and Lucy took pics and cheered us on!

My daughter Kristen and her husband Ben weren't able to make it this year. They are running a different kind of marathon of their own. Kristen is pregnant with a new little baby girl "Laney Lou" and is due in a few weeks. We can't wait for little Laney to arrive! Kristen didn't want to risk being away from her doctors to come to St. George and we didn't want her to risk it either. But next year, they're in with one more little granddaughter to cheer us on!

The Bradfords came and supported us and Joe, Greta and Jenny all participated and finished well ahead of us slow pokes! Way to go you guys!

My Sister-in-law Jayne surprised us all by participating! I thought she was coming with my brother Kim (aka Kermit) to be a spectator but she entered and finished! I am so proud of her for doing this and so grateful that they came. She is really taking the "Younger Next Year" message to heart and is working hard to improve her health and her life. Now if she can get Kim to participate! Actually, we love Kim just the way he is but we would like him to be around for a long long time.

Our friends the Joneses and the Ridings came to run and support us. Jim walked the whole way with me and encouraged me to keep going and keep the pace. Randy, who never trained at all, came in ahead of our whole group! Susanne and Kathe ran with the "all for one" crowd as I mentioned and they all did great!

My wonderful 74 year old cousin Marilyn finished the entire 13.1 miles! I was so proud of her for finishing! She didn't think she could do it but she never gave up! Way to go Marilyn!

For the last 5 miles or so, Jim and I kept pace with an older gentleman who ran and walked. When he walked, we would catch up with him. Then he would run a little and get a ways ahead of us. Then he would walk and we would catch him again. He finished about the same time as us and we later found out that he was 83 years old and finished in 3:05! He is a living testament that you can lead and active and healthy life well into your 80s and beyond if you follow "Harry's rules" in "Younger Next Year." I hope I can still do that kind of thing when I'm 83!

It was great to see everyone and to have some fun and laughs. My brother Randy and his wife Winnie came down from Cedar City as did their son Dewey and His wife Stacy. Their encouragement and support was much appreciated! Thanks guys! Randy said next year he will watch all of the kids while everyone else races! Winnie, Dewey and Stacy said they would like to join in next year so someone will have to watch the little ones!

The farthest travelers were Kim and Jayne who came from Klamath Falls Oregon! They flew into Vegas and drove from there! I think Kim would rather drive all the way from Oregon than take another flight! Maybe next year Kim!

My mother and sister Peggy both came from Spanish Fork and West Jordan. They were great cheerleaders also. Randall and Vicki came along with Bert, Joe and families! Randall and Bert did a lot of golfing which is a favorite thing to do while in St. George! Whatever, we all had fun even if we weren't all together!

Stopped by to see Roger and MaryLou on the way home and had a great (but short) visit. It was good to see them and Jill also who is staying there for now while they look for a house. I hope they all can make it next year!

Well, one goal down on my YNY journey! Still have many to go and this is just the beginning. Still need to go by Harry's rules and lose more weight and continue to work out and be active every day. Its getting easier and I'm actually quite enjoying it!

I've lost 2 more % of my body fat but still have a long way to go. It is a good start though! I'm still losing weight but much more slowly. I'm at 28% body fat, my lean muscle mass is increasing while my overall weight is decreasing. So, I think I'm still on a good path.

I posted some pics on Facebook if you want to go look! I'll put a few here too!
Thanks again to everyone for a great weekend and everyone's invited next year so mark your calendars and keep being active!

Bye for now!

1 comment: