Mark-1

Mark-1
Time to Laugh !!!

Laney Lou!

Laney Lou!
Laney Lou!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Giving Thanks, Seeking Miracles

It's been a couple of weeks since I spilled my thoughts onto these pages. Much has happened and I've stumbled a little on my quest for being "younger next year". Not because of any major problems but just some minor setbacks...nothing that I can't get over and get back into the program. I've missed a few workout sessions and aerobic exercise due to doctor's orders following the removal of a questionable mole on my back. A few stitches and a directive to hold off on lifting weights and working out for at least a week to let the scar heal before stressing it too much! And, because of working lunches etc. at work and a bit of a lazy attitude on my part, my eating has been crap! Got to get back on the program on Monday! I've hovered around the 25 lbs. lost arena for at least the last month and a half!! Plateaued out at about 235! So, time to get with the program! Monday it's back on board with 6 days a week of exercise and eating right!

I just want to say, that I am thankful that I and my family are all relatively healthy. There are millions or even billions on this earth that can't say that. Even though I'm overweight and out of shape, I can at least walk and talk and eat and get myself dressed and all of the little things we take for granted. For the most part, my body functions in the normal range and that goes for the rest of my family (a few minor health issues). So, I count myself very blessed regarding health and well-being.

As I mentioned, that's not the case for everyone and that goes for the son of some close friend of ours, Ed and Diane Sweet and their sons Tim and Brandon. I've known Ed for 15 years and his son Tim is struggling with kidney failure. Tim is 26 years old and was born with only one kidney. It has now failed and he is waiting and praying to find an acceptable donor. Here is an e-mail from Ed that I wanted to publish here.

As we have begun discussing with family and friends; Tim has end-stage kidney disease (ESRD). His solo kidney is no longer able to function at a level needed for his day-to-day life and his current kidney function is less than 8% of normal.

This is serious and it certainly changes Tim’s life and “state or normal” going forward. But, he has such a positive outlook. It is very encouraging to his mom and dad.

As a result of his ESRD, Tim is very anemic. This is a condition which has him weak and tired due to not having enough red blood cells. They are treating this anemia with Procrit (an epoetin), iron supplements and a very careful diet low in protein, sodium, potassium and phosphorus. After about 4-6 weeks, the doctor’s expect that he should see his red blood cell count get back close to normal.

As for his ESRD, he will be starting on dialysis full time by the end of this week or early next week. There are two types of dialysis; hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Tim has decided to go with peritoneal dialysis (PD). He had surgery two weeks ago to have a catheter placed into his peritoneal cavity in his stomach. He will need to dialyze for nine (9) hours a day, every single day. The positive to take away is that Tim can do this at home in his room and while he is sleeping at night. He could even travel if he wanted and bring his dialysis equipment with him.

Eventually however, Tim will need a transplant. The best case scenarios for him to do so are with a live related or a live unrelated donor. Fortunately, a person can donor a kidney without losing any of the kidney capacity they need to live an entire life. Unfortunately and ironically, neither myself, Diane or Brandon can be Tim’s donor. Our blood types are AB+, A+ and AB+. Tim’s blood type is B+. He needs someone with blood type O or B to be a donor. The donor can be O+, O-, B+ or B-. This is the first step. Once a blood match has been made, tissue will need to be checked but blood type match is a starting point.

I will be sure and keep you (the list will grow as I update others that I know will be concerned). A little prayer here and there will be greatly appreciated. And, if you know of B or O blood type family or friends that can and might want to consider donation, I would appreciate talking with them.

Thank you for your concern and support,

Ed


Tim is a great young man and I feel bad for him and his family. He is a fighter and is in the fight of his life right now. I am proud of him and his positive attitude through all of this. He has been active his whole life and played soccer at the semi-pro level in Germany for over a year. He came back to the States to go to school but had to quit soccer for health reasons. He needs a new kidney to resume a more normal life and to survive.

So while I'm sitting here trying to get in shape and be "younger next year", Tim is sitting there tethered to his dialysis machine praying to be alive in the years to come. Ed tells me he is an inspiration to everyone around him and is very positive. So I say, good for you Tim. Hang in there and we will help you look for a donor and keep you always in our prayers.

We are really seeking miracles and maybe some divine guidance and intervention. If anyone wants to be a living angel and an instrument in God's hands and would consider possible donation, you would be saving a life, and Tim's is a life worth saving. Please spread the word!

God Bless,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment