Mark-1

Mark-1
Time to Laugh !!!

Laney Lou!

Laney Lou!
Laney Lou!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Well, here we go!  I'm embarking on a year long adventure into the unknown... at least for me.  I'm 2 weeks into the "Younger Next Year" program and I'm just starting to actually feel a little better.  After years of abusing my body with excessive food or "crap" as Chris calls it, and very little exercise, I've decided enough is enough!  If I don't change something, I'm going to die!  It's as simple as that!  I'm 52 years old, I have heart disease and 2 stents, I have asthma, sleep apnea and diabetes!  I'm 5'8" tall and shrinking fast from all of the compression!  I weighed 261.8 lbs. when I started.  I wear 2XL shirts and have a 42" waist if I suck it in!  I have to tie my shoes on the inside of my feet because I can't reach down to tie them on the top!  I love my wife Becky and all of my kids and grandkids and I want to be around to see them all grow up and give me great-grandchildren!  I still work 40+ hours a week and am very involved in my church (LDS) and in the Salt Lake Lions Club.  I love life and I want to be here a little longer.  When I told my youngest daughter Kristen that I was thinking about doing this, she said "you better do it Dad, I want you to be around so my kids can know you and you can see them grow up!"  Well, that's what I want too!  So, let's get going!

I'm starting slow as Chris and Henry suggest.  (By the way, see the link to buy the book or access the program.  I can't quite recommend it yet, let's see how I do first.)  Anyway, I'm starting slow and walking 2.5 - 3 miles each morning (6 days a week).  A fairly brisk pace for me is about 4 miles per hour but I'm averaging about 3.7 or 3.8 with a heart rate of about 120-125.  Because of my heart problems, I'm taking some beta blockers which keep my heart rate down.  For now, I'm not pushing it until I go see my cardiologist.  Slow and easy with a little sweating!!!  Becky loves that!

I already had a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS heart rate monitor to log my workouts or walks.  My wife gave that to me a year ago last Christmas.  She loves me and was trying to tell me something I think!  It's great to have a supportive spouse to help you through this.  Anyway, I log my heart rate, speed, distance, elevation, etc. so I can see if I'm making any progress.  So far, just a little but I am feeling better!

One thing I absolutely have to do is to get more sleep.  It's a killer going to bed at midnight and trying to get up at 5:30 to go walking!  So, here are my goals for this year:

1.  Get at least 6.5-7 hours of sleep each night.
2.  Lose 50 pounds (as a start).
3.  Eat healthier and less... and cut the crap!
4.  Be able to run (or at least finish) a half marathon with my daughters sometime this year.
5.  Be able to ride in the Tour de Cure for diabetes (at least 40 miles of it).
6.  Write in this blog at least once a week to monitor my progress.
7.  Stay actively engaged with other people in my family, work, church and community service.
8.  Love life, help people, be happy!!!

Of course, #4 and #5 will depend on my doctor's okie dokie.  I'm scheduling an appointment soon!  

I'm going to try this for one year and see how I do.  It may just kill me but then again, it's more likely that it will save my life!

Bon Voyage!

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Mark!! I think it's awesome you're taking charge of your body and health so you can be around a LONG time and see little Lucy grow up! I think it's smart to take it slow... that's how I lost my weight! Good luck from Jon, Katie and Lucy! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your post on the FB page for YNY, and I'm with ya'! I'm 50, almost 51, and it's time for ME.

    I'll be watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Dad! I'm so proud of you and I can't wait until you are running and biking with us! Maybe I better read the book too...I need to cut out the "crap." But my taste buds really don't want to! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete